Sunday, November 25, 2007

Being Thankful

I liked the idea of listing what I am thankful for. This Thanksgiving was weird. My Mom called me the week before Thanksgiving and informed me she would not be cooking. Imagine the horror! There are only 3 of us here in Georgia (my Mom, my brother and I). My sister (her husband and my nephews) live in New Jersey. We don't see them very often (only if we go up there mostly). When she said she was not cooking, she said that was what she wanted and said what did I want to do (like it mattered). I told her I understood that she had cooked the holiday meals for the last 40+ years and that with just 3 of us, I understood that it was a lot to do for just the 3 of us. I then asked her what was open and she said she called the Cracker Barrel and they were opened so that's where we went. Not the worst place to go. She proceeded to go on about how she was a "bad mother", I didn't exactly say that she wasn't just that I understood.

Anyway, we got over all that and actually had a good time. I went over to her house on Wednesday after work (got to leave at 11:30) so after going home, grabbing my stuff and my dog I got over her way at about 3:00. We decided to go to Wal-Mart and the grocery store so we went on our way. I ran into Kroger to get the cooking bags (for my turkey). On my way in, I noticed the lottery machine, so on my way out, I put a $20 bill in and purchased 2 $10 tickets (Slot Machine tickets).

That was our last stop so we went on home. I wanted to scratch them by myself so I went into the rest room and scratched the first ticket...nothing. The second ticket I was scratching and towards the last one I got "luck" in one of the chances which means I won on all 16 chances. Usually I win $1 at each chance, but when I scratched the winning amount on the line where the "luck" was, it $50. I scratched the other ones and all of them were $50 or $25 each for a total of $500. I called my Mom while I was in the bathroom and she thought I needed toilet tissue. I told her no, and to check out the ticket I had and add it up. I went into the kitchen and she was adding it up on a calculator. It was $500.

My brother and I went and cashed the ticket and got some more scratch offs. My Mom won't buy them but she'll scratch them so I got some more for us all to scratch. We had some winners that night and went to get some more on Thanksgiving day. Well, we were all scratching at the kitchen table and I was scratching a Gold Rush ticket. My first number to scratch was a winner so I scratched the amount - it was $1,000. I scratched the second number and it matched - it was $1,000 too. I couldn't believe it so I had my brother look at it. This ticket had 15 chances to win and each chance was a winning number with either $1,000 or $500 for a grand total of $10,000. Can you believe it? I have to go take the ticket on Monday to the lottery office so I can get my check. Is that not cool?????

What am I thankful for?

My family: They drive me crazy but isn't that their job? I'm visiting my sister the day after Christmas and returning on New Year's Day. Can't wait.

My friends: I have lots of friends, but I don't see all of them on a regular basis, but that doesn't really matter. We can all pick up where we stopped before.

My job: At least I have one to complain about. Just kidding. I actually love what I do. I've been at my place of employment for almost 14 years and am doing something new the last 3 years. I love it because it's finally a more technical job.

My house: I've only had it for a little over 3 years, but I love it.

My roommate: It's a new situation but it has been a really good thing financially. Also, she is a good roommate. I am VERY thankful for that.

My animals (Harley and Beaker): They give unconditional love and always at the right moment.

My experiences: They made me who I am today - I think I'm OK.

My health: I may not be at the appropriate BMI (Body Mass Index) for my height and age, but I am not aware that I have any terminal disease.

Last, I very much agree with Marni on this one...

Our troops: They took a job in the service and unfortunately it is a time of war. They are brave people who keep us safe in our country and defend freedom.

3 Comments:

Blogger katy said...

hi not been here for a long time, you had a good run on the lottery then well done!
glad you had a good thanksgiving.
just been reading about you dog, how is she now?

Monday, November 26, 2007 at 11:43:00 PM EST  
Blogger DJ Andi said...

Her:

Harley is doing better. I don't think we have her medications regulated yet but I have to take her back for her annual in December and they will check her blood again. She's on 3 meds: phenolbarb for her seizures, thyroid medication for her thyroid and an arthritis medication to help her get up and strengthen her a little. You would think she rattled when she walked with all the pills but thank God she loves cheese. Thanks for asking. She's my big baby and I only want her to have a good life (quality).

Tuesday, November 27, 2007 at 7:37:00 PM EST  
Blogger Marni said...

OMG! I need to start scratching in the bathroom! Maybe my luck will change.

Good for YOU -- that is awesome!

Friday, November 30, 2007 at 11:49:00 AM EST  

Post a Comment

<< Home